Tuesday, May 7, 2019: Governor Steve Bullock signed into law the Montana Economic Industry Advancement (MEDIA) Act, a tax credit for film productions in Montana.
The MEDIA Act provides for a 20% production expenditure tax credit, with additional components that can increase the transferable credit to a maximum of 35% of total base film production investment. Those add-on incentives can include:
• 25% of compensation for Montana resident crews
• 15% of compensation for non-Montana resident crew
• 30% of compensation paid to students
• 20% of above the line compensation per production or television series season, with ceiling
• 15% of compensation paid to actors
• 10% of payments to Montana colleges or universities
• 10% of all in-studio facility and equipment rental expenditures
• 5% of expenditures in a high poverty county
• 25% of post-production wages (Not effective until 2021)
• 5% for Montana screen credit
The incentive will become effective on July 1, 2019. Until then, watch for updates and detailed information here on our website. We already know Montana is the Ultimate Location, and this will continue to strengthen our growing film industry!
The ultimate film guide in the palm of your hand. Browse & map locations by image, contact crew, rent equipment.
GET THE APP