Late Film Deadline for SXSW on October 20
Hello Film Community,
Last week, SXSW announced the addition of Darren Aronofsky to the impressive 2018 Keynote lineup. The founder of Protozoa Pictures, Aronofsky is the director of mother!, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, and Pi, to name but a few. Other industry leaders added to the Featured Speaker lineup include Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter Keith Urban, New York Times best-selling author Luvvie Ajayi, sociopolitical comedian W. Kamau Bell, This American Life creator and host Ira Glass, and co-founder of Ballmer Group and owner of the Los Angeles Clippers Steve Ballmer, and many more!
SXSW Music Festival also announced their first wave of showcasing artists, with acts from 32 countries. Artists include 88Rising artists Higher Brothers from Chengdu, China and Indonesian rapper Rich Chigga, new Matador Records signee Snail Mail, and recent additions to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation, Jay Park and Farina.
More Film News
- We are coming up on our final deadline for film submissions on Friday, October 20. Browse the tiles below for all of our helpful resources to ensure your film is ready to enter to SXSW. If you need to submit a film after the Late Deadline, find out how to request an extension by clicking on the tile marked “extension”.
- If you are ready to submit, take a few minutes to watch our How to Submit Your Film Video. Note: Filmmakers who have submitted to SXSW are eligible for a registration discount regardless of the status of their film submission. To find out more and get a jump on planning your trip to SXSW 2018 click here.
- Our next registration deadline is also Friday, October 20. Grab your Film Badge today and save before prices go up. A Film Badge gets you primary access to all SXSW Film events including world premieres, roundtables, workshops, and parties. Don’t forget to make your hotel reservations through SXSW Housing & Travel for the best available rates. Film registrants also have primary access to Convergence events including the Comedy Festival and eight unique conference tracks, as well as secondary access to most Interactive and Music events.
- Announcing 700+ Sessions across 24 conference tracks for SXSW 2018. Film sessions include, The Female Gaze: Alternate Fact of Actual Movement (Film & TV Industry) and Setting the Visual Language of VR Storytelling (Making Film & Episodics).
- Learn the stories behind the stories with our Filmmaker In Focus series featuring Assholes and Tragedy Girls.
- Take a look at our SXSW alumni films on release this month including, Bill Nye: Science Guy, M.F.A., Maineland, Bad Lucky Goat, and The Strange Ones.
- 2018 marks the 25th edition of the SXSW Film Festival. To commemorate this milestone in our history, we will spotlight careers launched, artists discovered, and some of the greatest projects, powerful performances, and unlikely collaborations we’ve had the honor to help bring to audiences. Read #SXSWFilm25 stories from Joe Swanberg, Brie Larson, David Lowery, Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, Andrew Haigh, Alex Winter, Dan Lindsay & TJ Martin, Lynn Shelton, Greta Gerwig, Jeff Blitz, Bill & Turner Ross, Jeff Malmberg, and Seth Rogen. Tune in every week for more to come!
- It’s been a privilege to share all these wonderful stories from our SXSW alumni and now it’s time to hear from the greater film community. We would love to learn about your favorite memories from the film festival and how it has shaped your life. Please respond by Wednesday November, 22 using this form.
Looking forward to seeing you in March!
Janet & the Film Team
SXSW Conference & Festivals | Austin, TX | March 9-18, 2018
Film Submission Deadlines
Save the date
• August 25: Early Deadline
• September 22: Official Deadline
• October 20: Late Deadline
• December 15: TX HS Shorts/Title Sequence Deadline